PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of the Professional Pilot
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2005, 23:08
maxalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see you are US based, and I understand your disillusion given whats happened to the once mighty majors there, like United.

But the guys at United had it very very good for a very long time. It just makes the fall seem harder and further.

As far as my own company is concerned, we made sacrifices, but the union prevented the kind of rape we've seen elsewhere. The word that best describes it is 'managed change'.

The majors in the US haven't changed the way we did...and I'm not referring to pilots, because (for example) the United guys seem to have given a helluva lot, including around 50% pay reductions (according to what I've read) and the recent deal offerring complete dismantling of the defined benefit pension scheme.
The problem is that MANAGEMENTS haven't changed their approach to the new market realities. Frightening ammounts of money are still being lost under their current business models, and no ammount of pilot pay cuts or working conditions sacrifices are going to cure those ills. We're all waiting for the other boot to drop in the US, and unfortunately it seems unavoidable that there will have to be a serious shakeout at the top end of the market. Don't blame the unions for the lack of management acumen.