PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ground branch jobs
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2005, 19:51
SpotterFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DK338 Wrote:

Clearly every SNCO worth his weight, irrespective of trade, will look down his nose at all commissioned officers and view them as worthless until proved otherwise; as an ALM you should know this. That is the lot of the professional SNCO and long may it continue.

OT but I can't let it lie!!!

DK. Contempt will breed contempt. Although the statement in QRs refers specifically only to WOs, I believe it is incumbent upon all SNCOs to contribute to the professional development of junior officers, especially those straight out of training. If a newbie Flt Ops officer is met with an SNCO who clearly thinks and acts like he doesn't rate the officer, is obstructive and unhelpful, then not only will that officer 'grow up' to distrust and even resent SNCOs, but this attitude will inevitably rub off on the SNCOs subordinates, which will not prepare them proerly for their duties as SNCOs and so on ad infinitum. As you imply, the RAF won't run without professional SNCOs, so as an experienced SNCO I hope you are trying to bring these young officers on? I have been extremely fortunate throughout my career to be able to depend on numerous SNCOs (and JNCOs), who have occasionally (OK regularly) bailed an enthusiastic but 'professionally inept' officer out before he barelled in where angels would fear to tread. I get the impression your assistance and advice (if offered?) has been ignored - their loss

On another note, do you think ATC and FC get fully professionally competent operators out of the door of the schools? Not a hope. Speaking only for FC it takes on average a couple of weeks for them to get an operating endorsement, and even then they operate as part of an established team. It takes a further 12 to 18 months for them to get to CR. I get the impression the junior FO guys and girls are left to sink or swim, with little in the way of a hierarchy to support them as there is in ATC and FC.

My 2p

PS - Inspector Dreyfuss, check your PMs