PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2003, 00:13
ZH844

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Just stumbled across this topic and being a Merlin operator I would like to have my say.

First, congratulation to Nick and the boys - development to certification a long and expensive process. Well done.

Now to the 'comments' about the Merlin. Despite the obvious experience of many of the members almost everyone forgets that when a new platform enters service there are issues.

These issues only become problems when they cannot be addressed. WHL have addressed all the issues and this has resulted in the RN being able to deploy the aircraft to the front line.

The Cormorant version is the best SAR aircraft in the world today - not my thoughts - the thoughts of the Canadian SAR operatives so what more do you want Crab?

I would like to see the Merlin replace the Sea King in the SAR role - just hope that money sponges aka LMA, are not involved you might see a working spare parts supply line then!!

Every design has aspects not liked by the operators but the S-92 and the EH101 are the best helicopters ever design both in terms of operation and safety.

Having read both the MAR and the RTS it appears that our friends at Boscombe Down are on a job preservation jolly. The cabs could do more if these jokers were not involved!

Keep up the good work Dangermouse and thanks for the opertunity to get on my soap box!!