PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2004, 13:40
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vertilop's original post is like being asked "When did you stop beating your dog?" in that no answer escapes his underlying snide and incorrect assertion. It needs no reply, it is a troll not a question. There is no engine problem that I am aware of, and I am in the place to know. Vertalop's point is to spin a thread based on a non-event, a nice parlor trick, huh?

Word from PHI pilots is that the S-92 performance is at least as good as promised. It flies faster and burns less gas than the factory info, making it even better relative to the Super Puma, they say.

The CT7 T700 engine family in the US Army has a fleet reliability that is better than that of the airline industry. The demonstrated in flight shutdown rate for engine cause is 1 per 500,000 hours, an amazing rate when helicopter profiles and operating conditions are considered. I do not have data on the RTM, but most modern engines are so reliable, unfortunately it is human error that makes them fail the majority of the time.

Regarding growth, the core engine of the CT7 family has lots of life in it. The -8 at 2500 HP is great, and the -8C with over 3,100 HP has already passed its basic abusive tests with excellent results.

The contest between RTM-322 and T700/CT7 is good for customers, who make the choice, in the end. As RJSquerril's post says (the numbers seem accurate to me) the customers are voting on the helicopters, too. Sorry vertalop, hope this info doesn't dissappoint you too much!

Last edited by NickLappos; 22nd Dec 2004 at 15:36.