PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2004, 15:01
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jboy asked = Q
Nick answers = A

Q=Given the retirement of #2, does that mean all flying S-92s now have the modified tail?

A= Yes, we made a few tails in Bridgeport to fit the prototypes so we could have the exact aerodynamc configuration for certification..

Q= I thought I heard that you had delivered an S-92 to a British customer, and assumed that meant de-ice cert was complete. Is the upcoming set of tests the final step before FAR 29 certification for flight into known icing?

A= We started testing late last season, so we only got about 80% of the points needed for cert (in spite of the crew chasing every ice cloud in Northern Canada!) We plan to finish at the beginning of this season (starting in a few weeks).

Q= Will that make the S-92 the first US helicopter with full deicing certification?

A= I think so. Also, since the French authorities will not share their certification data or methods with FAA, and thus the certification basis they chose is completely unknown, it could be the first civil cert that teaches us all how to do it. (this comment does not mean the French system isn't efective, pilot reports say it seems to work quite well.)

Q= I have heard the EH101 Cormorant still doesn't have full approval from Canadian DND.

A= Dunno this one. Ppruners?

Q= Also, I thought that the VXX risk reduction activities were all paper design, and without flight trials, set up primarily to delay decision until post Presidential election.

A= We are flying all kinds of good stuff, some of it very nice for future civil use. Can't spill the beans, we are preparing a press release in a few days.

Q= It's interesting that your VXX has a bigger cabin. Will that be offered to Canada for the H-92 (or is the #5 aircraft going to be used as an H-92 prototype) ?

A= The bigger cabin is made so by extending the cabin floor into the volume now occupied by the ramp, and provides 4.9 feet more length. This makes the volume of the H-92 almost exactly the same as the EH-101 (not precisely the "one third" difference the numberically challenged salesmen from the other side tout!) Canada equipment and storage fits very well in the H-92 without the extension (because the ramp is used as storage volume). We will do some of the Canada work on 5, some on 3 and some on 4. Lots of aircraft and time to get it done.

Last edited by NickLappos; 16th Nov 2004 at 11:57.