PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2003, 01:07
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilico,

Actually, all TV stations and video makers use Beta cameras and decks as the master format for everything they shoot, because it is technically better, and copies perfectly for clean edits. As a result, I think all professional video is actually Beta! Perhaps there's a message here....... Naa!

Dangermouse, the price difference of the two is a matter of fact, with the typical EH costing about 50% more than the S-92 with the same equipment. Conklin and dedecker lists them at 14 and 21 million with mimimal equipment, accurate as far as I know. Japan paid about 37 million apiece, I think.

As I have said in lots of other posts, both makers have good machines, our customers will sort out what they want.

Regarding the EH/Cormorant assertions that they are immune to engine failure in a hover, I have copies of their Avoid Area from the Cormorant Flight Manual. At MHP weights, they go in the drink any time they are hovering below about 170 feet when have any appreciable fuel on board, standard day. On a hot day, they will swim, period. The PR type who doubted my veracity probably couldn't find the Flight Manual, let alone read it.

Any Ppruners who want the data, ask and I can post it on the net. They have a good helicopter, its the PR types who seem to run their programs who are a bit tacky. They told the US Marine Corps the same bunk about three engine immunity, and when their data became available, they seemed to lose a lot of credibility.

Last edited by NickLappos; 9th Jun 2003 at 01:26.