PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2004, 05:44
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say ppheli, I'm not sure what you're making such a fuss about.

When visiting the S-92 production line I saw a number in varying stages of completion. Unsurprisingly, the one at the front of the line bore the lowest production number and was nearest to completion. I was told it was going to PHI.
Unless plans changed later, then that aircraft, the first S-92 to come off the production line, the very one in which I sat, has gone to PHI in the Gulf - which is what Sikorsky said in its press release last week. (They didn't say I'd sat in it, but you know what I mean.)

Even if all the above is completely wrong, does it matter? (Except to spotters/collectors of serial numbers.)

I'm not a marketing man (and I don't know if the owner of the S-92 you've seen in the UK wanted any publicity), but surely it's entirely understandable and reasonable for Sikorsky's marketing people to publicise that a major operator the size of PHI is a customer for their latest model.

Sikorsky has a fine reputation and a long successful history. Their helicopters have a good safety record, and professional pilots seem to like flying them. The S-92 looks like being another success story. It's good for the industry if there's demand for new helicopters, whether from European or American manfacturers.
I'm puzzled by the nit-picking.

BTW, I also regard September as the summer, as do my colleagues who came back to work this week referring to their summer holiday. The weather's been terrible, but August was worse.