PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2003, 21:06
[email protected]

Received 647 Likes on 285 Posts
Dangermouse, is this the same fabulous EH101 that the Military are struggling to give a full Military Aircraft Release to, the one that has the first dozen Navy Merlins operating on different software fits and individual Release to Service, the same one which is cracking in various places but can't be repaired by anyone but Westlands because it is composite, the one that can't be shut down on sloping ground because of the airframe deformation it causes and the same one we will probably be stuck with in the SAR force - not because it is any good for the job but because the Military have always been forced to support Westlands regardless of the quality of the product?
By the way, since I get the impression you work for WHL - why, since it was a joint venture with Augusta, did Westlands not build the main rotor gearbox? I ask the question because one of the few good Westland products I have seen is the 3 pinion MRGB on the Lynx - it has a clever load sharing ring that allows the full power of a single engine to drive the gearbox in the event of a single engine failure. Wouldn't that have been a good idea on a 3 engine helicopter - the ability to harness the full power from the remaining 2 engines, shame the EH101 can't!