PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standardisation ?
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2005, 14:48
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that standardisation is important, but as others have said, there will always be small things which each instructor, indeed each pilot, does slightly differently.

Going back again to FFB's original post, however, his student on the occassion he was asking about was an existing PPL. He may or may not have been one of FFB's school's students - he may have been a new member who had just joined FFB's organisation for his further training. We don't know the details, FFB didn't tell us, but I'm sure we all encounter this kind of scenario fairly regularly.

So, aside from issues around standardisation within our own organisation, is it not important that we have ways of tackling pilots who come from other environments and have ways of doing things which are different to our own? Would we all agree that the appropriate technique must first of all involve deciding whether our student's techniques are safe and appropriate, and if they are, letting him get on with them (but possibly with a suggestion that he might like to consider an alternative)? And that if they are not safe or appropriate, we need a sensitive approach to changing the student's habits to something more safe and appropriate?

Seems to me like we are all agreed on this, but we have become so sidetracked by arguing something which we are all agreed on that we've forgotten to debate the original question, which is how we go about this! Let's not have this forum turn into another Rumours+News style forum, please?

FFF
-----------

PS - DFC, no hard feelings, I appreciate that your comments weren't personal. Standardisation is important, I'm only emphasising lack of standardisation in this thread because that's what the thread is all about.