PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those damned pedantic idiot captains
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2005, 14:53
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my humble opinion, this thread was taking a disturbing trend for a while, but has, in more recent times, taken on a very positive direction. One of the major problems seems to be that many people had a different interpretation of the meaning of the word "pedantic". I've checked a number of dictionarys, and found a different meaning for the word in each of them. The one that I liked best, and most certainly supported my own viewpoint was -

"Excessive attention to detail"

Good, then I am indeed a confirmed pedant. In this exacting profession where small mistakes cost lives, or, at the very least opens up one more hole in the Swiss cheese, I have no problem with "going the extra mile" to make sure that everything is absolutely correct.

As an Instructor, and in the CERTAIN knowledge that upon completion of training and check-out, EVERY student will forget AT LEAST 20% of that which he/she has learned, it is vital to provide excessive attention to detail, such that the amount remembered will be 'about right'.

As a pilot in an airline employing 57 nationalities, and therefore possessing 57 possible interpretations of the English language, it is vital to pay excessive attention to the strict implementation of Standard calls and phraseologies, both within the cockpit and for ATC communications.

These are but 2 examples, nowhere did I find any reference to tunnel vision or inflexibility being associated with pedantism, these seem to have been oft expressed fears.

Near enough is not good enough, and good enough is not good enough, because innumerable occasions occur in this profession where we have to go "the extra mile" - Excess attention to detail is always required. I have found a cockpit where all Flight Crew members were paying excess attention to detail to be a VERY relaxed one, one doesn't have to worry about a fellow crew member being 'just good enough', or worse still, 'behind the 8 ball'.

As a Performance Engineer, I pay OBSESSIVE attention to detail, double, triple checking obstacles, performance data inputs, computer algorithms etc., maybe there's another definition for that. I hope so, if so, I'll admit to that too.

Fly safe,

Old Smokey