PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew and American Visas
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2005, 08:31
rsoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additionally, some crew members have travelled into Central London on their day off, queued outside the Embassy for 6 to 7 hours only to have the door slammed in their faces "Closed For Lunch!"

The complete and utter disdain with which Britrish Citizens are treated by the US Embassy beggars belief and I feel we should (A) Reguse to Handle US registered aircraft in the UK and (B) Refuse to carry US Passport Holders on British aircraft until both the US and UK Governments recognise we have a serious problem that needs addressing.

Strong words BEALINE . But dont get all worked up! People from sone nationalities have had to que up for visas for the past so many decades!

If it is of any comfort to you, my nationality and passport allows me to land up in a grand total of 5 countries (or is it six???) without getting a visa in advance! Everywhere else the wait takes from a couple of days to a month!

The last time I came to your part of the world, I had to wait at my local British consulate for 30 hours literally non stop - about 10 hours of it in an exposed area in pouring rain before I could even get in! 1st day I started my wait at a very civilised hour of 1 AM and then the door was slammed shut for the day at 11.30! Was back in the que at 4 PM the same day for trying to get in next day (was still about 10 th in the que) and finally my visa interview was over at 11 AM and the visa through by 5 PM on day II. All in all a mere 35 hours queing up!

Now this did not mean that I got all hot and bothered like you are for queing to get a visa to USA. I merely accepted the inconveniences I faced in getting a UK visa as something resulting fom the privilege of a country to lay down the necessary rules as they may deem fit to regulate the visit of citizens of another country! And I would be the first to say, that atleast in my case I enjoyed the year I spent in your country to the maximum after getting my visa.