PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - jobs in japan ?
Thread: jobs in japan ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2005, 22:21
JapJok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foreign Worker is right.

If you want/are prepared to be treated like a bit of $hit for bigger $$ then be my guest, but my pride won`t allow it.

I will work for half the $$ provided I`m paid the same as a local. Traditionally, contractors are paid more than locals, and that provides the incentive to get their own troops up and running asap, but I didn`t want more, just the same.

I`m not accustomed to being treated second best, so did not accept it.

I, like most people who go to Japan, had very different ideas about the land of Honda and Sony before going there; hard working, creative people, and as I look out my window at the Honda NSX, the reality doesn`t seem to fit my illusion and becomes a delusion.

Japan is a sheltered workshop, full of sycophants bobbing up and down to please their `superiors` (who seem to be everybody) and sitting in their offices from 6 am till 9 pm so they can arrive before their bosses and go home after, but doing only a couple of hours` work in between.

The hardest workers in Japan are foreign pilots, more hours than locals, less pay than locals, less holidays than locals, MUCH less respect than locals. I could go on, but I`m sure all but the least perceptive get the idea.

Anybody who says Japan is accepting of foreigners is deluding themselves They will cram five to a table for two in a restaurant before sharing with a foreigner, or even stand in preference. I often heard that they were shy people, but it comes from a sense of superiority, and there are a hundred reasons why I have difficulty with that concept.

Please don`t misunderstand me though. I believe there are many decent Japanese people who are accepting of other races, and I have good friends amongst them, but they possess the ants` nest mentality... threaten the nest, and they muster, scampering around like Japanese Mr Beans, working in groups to bring you back in line, or bring you down, and it seems to me they have a distinct preference for bringing you down. Ever seen ants taking on a much bigger adversary? They inevitably win through strength of numbers attacking from every angle.

But Shenlin, in answer to your question, I believe there are plenty of jobs on offer, particularly for 737 Captains. My former colleagues tell me that both PARC and IAC are desperate to fill the Air Do contract, Skymark will be starting their 737 operation in about six months, Skynet is desperate for foeign Captains, and JALEX is seeking MD80 Captains. A couple of operators are also after trubo prop pilots, so there is plenty of work there.

BUT, remember that before you check out, you absolutely MUST know the thickness of a snowflake, because you`ll probably be asked by one of the intellectual giants from JCAB, with a couple of thousand hours instructing on Bonanzas. It might not be a pass/fail question, but you will be humiliated by being told that you must study harder. Don`t forget the number of active volcanoes either (by name, and maybe, or maybe not including the submarine ones); that`s a big one.

Last edited by JapJok; 9th Feb 2005 at 22:50.