PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those damned pedantic idiot captains
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2005, 17:07
gatwickflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'I'm not trying to come off as the gruff, wizened old codger who knows it all - I'm still learning. I learn something new every time I fly. If I didn't, I'd get very worried about my own attitude. I also get very worried about an FO who thinks he can't learn anything new from me (or anyone else).'
--------------------------------------:-----------------------------------------

Thanks XX2SGR , at least one other person in the world has the same madcap ideas as me. Running a relaxed flight deck normally means the skipper has plenty of spare capacity , copes well with 'challenging' individuals , is patient , and most of all recognises his/her own limitations/fallibilities/bad days etc without resorting to OMB as an SOP.
Aviation is similar to most peoples life experiences , mostly good folk around but punctuated by the odd round-peg. How you get on in life is normally reflected in how you deal with such misfits. Despite the current fad with 'psychometrics' , the odd worm still manages to creep through the 'Swiss cheese' , and I personally think that the main part of an aspiring aviators interview should be conducted by a PILOT for a change.
Sometimes a copilot will comment on a 'difficult' Captain they have to fly with and I always point out that the usual reason for the said individuals lack of social skills allayed with criticism/interference/'flashing hands' etc is down to their own lack of belief in their own abilities. Difficulty in allowing the copilot to express themselves/command their own sector is a direct result of this syndrome.I try to point out that if they ( the copilot that is ) can learn to spot this and modify their reactions accordingly, they will often help to improve the atmosphere and form their own basis for when they move to the LHS themselves and have to fly with young , inexperienced co's.
Happy flying chaps