PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those damned pedantic idiot captains
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2005, 16:04
XXTSGR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am probably regarded by many people with whom I've flown as a pedant. No, I don't like flaps retracted on the runway either. I don't like the aircraft being climbed at anything different from best economic climb rate unless there is a good reason for it, and that has been stated. I thoroughly disapprove of non-standard R/T procedure (US pilots please copy) and bring people up on it. On a recent flight I had words with an FO who couldn't or wouldn't get out of the habit of replying to level clearances with "Recleared down to 120 for the ABC123". I told him (a) not to use the word "recleared"; (b) not to use words like "to" and "for" on the R/T, particularly when talking numbers; (c) we are not "THE" ABC123. Why say "It's the ABC123 for start" when you can just as easily say "ABC123 request start"?

Having said all that, I most particularly like to have a relaxed atmosphere on the flight deck. I became a pilot because I knew it would be a fun career - something my previous career most certainly WASN'T. I don't mind a bit of chat and jokes between us, ogling the female pax as they walk out, cutting briefs when we've flown together three sectors on the same route already today, provided everything is done and done correctly. And so what if your approach speed is a couple of knots too fast? There's pedantry and pedantry.

I guess it comes down to professionalism of attitude. If that professionalism isn't there, I get nervous and VERY pedantic.

Mistakes get made. It's why there are two of us up there. I don't point out his in order to score points, and I don't expect him to try to score points off me. I'll do my best to keep him out of the brown stuff, and expect him to do the same for me. If, as is most often the case, I am flying with someone with less than a tenth of my experience, I will try to give him helpful pointers, things I've learned from experience that they don't teach you on the courses (it's not all in the books). I'm not trying to come off as the gruff, wizened old codger who knows it all - I'm still learning. I learn something new every time I fly. If I didn't, I'd get very worried about my own attitude. I also get very worried about an FO who thinks he can't learn anything new from me (or anyone else).