PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those damned pedantic idiot captains
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2005, 18:50
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learned from you that to be a pedant and strictly disciplined in all areas of aircraft operation is essential for safety and efficiency, especially when you were pedantic that Standard Procedures won't cover all situations, and that flexibility is sometimes necessary
Maybe I've misread you here but you seem to be saying that a pedant is a good thing in a cockpit.I beg to differ.Being pedantic doesnt necessarily equate to being disciplined.Nor does it equate to being a good pilot.Experience and airmanship are a pilots manna from heaven.Or they used to be.Systems knowledge would rank pretty high too(but that would come under airmanship anyway).
But the ability to abide pedantically by the company's SOP manual?Well,it might make you popular with some people but it wont help you one iota when the chips are down.
When things go from bad to worse,the very worst person you could have on board would be a pedant.maybe you should tip your hat a little more to those ordinary good guy Captains you mention that knew that what makes a pilot is good cognitive judgement and very little else.Next time when the checklist says land at the nearest airport and you're at 40W and need inspiration,spare a thought for those good guy Captains and try not to think of the others.