PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to say it like it is!
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2005, 06:15
Captain Kirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Alex,

Like I said, it all depends upon the context:

If it is an isolated tractor with no obvious military association – it could well be a war crime.

If it was part of a dispersed enemy unit en route to engage a friendly position then it is entirely legitimate – and the consequences of failure demand urgency of action that may preclude you carefully considering every alternative.

If you had just witnessed them slaughtering dissident civilians then you might not care how high they raised their hands; of course, after the atrocity, killing them might be illegal – unless you had reason to believe that they were about to resume actions that would endanger you or a third party.

Difficult isn’t it!

I have no problem with you disagreeing incidentally – it actually provides useful insight into how a markedly different perspective can be taken from viewing the same material. We live in a democracy and the ‘you weren’t there so you cannot have a view’ will not wash – we, the military, need to understand viewpoints like yours, and manage them. My point throughout has been – do not make inflammatory judgements when you do not have the full facts. I would also encourage you to realise that being there does make a difference – you do not have 3 days to debate the outcome amongst a committee. You have an instant to make a decision (one of a hundred) – and the life of you and your colleagues may depend upon the outcome. It doesn’t mean you can’t have a view but it is important that you appreciate the difference. You seem intelligent, surely you can acknowledge that?

Good debate.

Oh... and PTT. What planet are you on???!