PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of the Professional Pilot
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2005, 19:57
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's time for me to round off now, because I feel I have said pretty much all that I need to say - further posts are merely going to end up as repitition.

Of my 30+ years in aviation, the first 7 of those were in G.A. in 2 different companies, and involved working as a charter/commuter pilot, and Flight Instructor.
My airline career has been with 5 different companies, so I have encountered the SAME problems some of you now complain of, as if you were the only ones to ever have been subjected to them!
None of my jobs ended as a result of termination on the employer's part. The answer to your questions, b777900 - "Are you the type to say
refuse to do it.
go on strike.
go slow.
work to rule.
vote with your feet, even if you do not have another job lined up to go to.
"
- are "Yes" to each (although the strike was not a strike as such - and it did cost me, and HIALS I believe, our jobs, and a great deal more. Do I regret it? No.)

As I stated to TDF380, some of you apparently lack the spine to make the hard decisions this profession REQUIRES, in spite of external pressures!
Quite simply, you shouldn't be occupying ANY seat at the front end of an aircraft, imo.

It's also interesting to note that 2 of the characters complaining the loudest, and making excuses for NOT being willing to make standards-based decisions, have also made the following comments:-
"perhaps you could resign from your airline so I could take your spot..", and,
"your present outfit must need Capts, you get me a job..".

Perhaps there's a message there - you've both ended up in the companies that you DESERVE!

To the majority of professional pilots who take it in their stride to make Safety based decisions, even when it means occasionally having to don the "flak jacket", Thank you for maintaining the standard required of Professional Pilots, and for helping stop "The Demise of the Professional Pilot".