PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of the Professional Pilot
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2005, 17:00
The Real Slim Shady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIALS wrote,

Untill you stand up for yourself, your career and your standards - no one will take you seriously.
An honourable sentiment indeed, and absolute, utter mindless tosh.

Can you just tell me which section of the application form is marked "Credibility" ?????

Been there, done that, got the tick: I don't see anyone rushing to my door offering me a job because of "credibility". On the contrary, if you stand up for yourself, your career and your standards - oh, and do your damnedest to make certain that guys working for you don't get shafted by the CEO and his beancounters - do you really think that you go are going to endear yourself to anyone???

Ever actually been a manager in an airline? Ever been the guy batting day in day out for the people at the coalface?

Ever been in the situation where you dread going in to the office in morning because you know you will fighting your corner, and the corners of your pilots all the time? Ever walked into the Ops room first thing in the morning to be told " Captain XXXX has been fired" and then spent the next hour arguing and pleading with the CEO not to fire a guy who refused to operate because he was EXHAUSTED!!!

Ever had to tell the CEO, who owns the airline, that he cant just promote guys to Training Captain without them undergoing the prescribed training, just because it's cheaper to omit it??

Ever had to tell the CEO that he can't just appoint Captains behind your back when they don't have the minimum experience requirements laid down in the Ops Manual??

Ever been verbally assaulted by cabin crew / crew transport owners / ground staff / Ops staff / passengers / clients - you name it, over the way your company "operates" because you are the manager on the ground, at the front just because you are a pilot and happen to have fly occassionally???

Ever had to deal with all the buls**t of an Authority Ops inspection when they gloss over all the real "meat" presented to them and focus on the trivia of crossed T's and I's not dotted???

Ever had to work every day trying to balance the need to follow the regulations and keep people in a job???

Tell you what HIALS, put your money where your mouth is.......your present outfit must need Capts, you get me a job and I'll bring all my credibility with me, how's that.

International union.....don't make laugh. Strength in unity.....that takes commitment, organisation and some sense of belonging. Are you, if you are sitting fat dumb and happy in the left seat of a 744 or an A332 going stand up and be counted when your "colleague" flying a Shed on night freight needs your support because his boss is using veiled threats to force him to work outside the regulations???

You would get more loyalty and support working in a Bangkok whorehouse than in any airline. Not only will the CEO, beancounters and ambitious management pilots stab you in the back, but your ambitious / comfortable colleagues will look after No 1 every time.