PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of the Professional Pilot
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2005, 13:43
HIALS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first read this thread - and put my little piece on it - I had not idea we were complaining about how we destroyed our profession. I thought we were bemoaning the lack of respect and common courtesy we receive from our employers.

I cannot and will not agree with any of you who say in one breath "oh! poor fellow me, look what I have to tolerate." And, in the other breath say, "but I had to give in (under pressure) and do the wrong thing..."

I am horrified by some of the self-denial evident in the last couple of pages of this thread.

How can we ever expect proper treatment when we behave in a cowering and self-interested way? As an airline captain, I am responsible for doing the right thing. Not the convenient thing. Not the easiest thing. Not the job-preserving thing. Not the cop-out thing.

Hell - if we don't act professionally, why should we expect decent treatment. Some of the comment on this thread makes the word prostitute spring to mind.

To short-circuit the critics. Yes. I work for a big-name Asian airline. Do I understand the difficulties endured by those who don't work for such professional outfits? Yes. I have been to hell and back in this occupation. I have been flying for 30+ years. I have worked for airlines in Oceania, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Some of these jobs were awful. But, I never lowered my standards to "fit in" or "survive". I have lost jobs because of my standards. I have even lost my ability to live in my homeland because of my beliefs (at the time). I have NEVER subordinated my standards to my job-of-the-day.

In the end - we have one life, one licence and one standard of self-esteem. By comparison a job is a passing thing.

Untill you stand up for yourself, your career and your standards - no one will take you seriously.