PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to say it like it is!
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2005, 07:36
FJJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hal

Please don't tar us all with the same brush as others who post anti-American comment here or anywhere else. I spent nearly 40 years as an RAF pilot working alongside the US Forces, including in the Gulf and former Yugoslavia. I have nothing but good to say about American professionalism and people I worked with.

In any Forces you're going to get ar**holes who let the side down - we've got our own court-martial running at the moment for some of ours. My feelings about them are the same as would be for any nationality who behave in such a barbaric manner - despite what you witness or experience there is no excuse for dragging yourself down to the same gutter level as those who disregard the values of civilised society. That's what distinguishes us from, let us say, the routinely less civilised behaviour of some people of other nations.

We are right to condemn those who behave in a barbaric way towards other human beings, no matter what they have done. We must observe our own standards of civilised behaviour or we lose our credibility in the fight to help oppressed people.

Whether or not you believe the war is justified or not, whether or not you believe it is right to impose western-style democracy on another nation, there is no excuse for anti-allied comment [and I encompass more nations than just the US here].

I have posted on many topics against those who make anti-American comments. Such comment usually turns a sensible discussion into a trans-Atlantic slanging match, which becomes boring and unpleasant to read.

FJJP