PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of the Professional Pilot
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2005, 21:11
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

My feeling, skyclamp, is that TDF380 is representative of quite a few professional pilots - whether they work for known, less reputable companies, or are employed by large, well-known airlines.
These pilots are putting THEMSELVES under a great deal of stress, by not exercising their legal authority.
It must be difficult for them each time they know they are due to go to work, wondering how they are going to be "tested".
Undoubtedly this stress also carries through to their home life, and creates friction that is an outlet for the work anxiety.
I don't for a minute feel that TDF380 is about to sell the SAFETY of his aircraft down the line for complying with "protocols" that are invisibly forced upon him.
The problem I find with that, skyclamp, is that if the TDF380`s are willing to fly fatigued, take aircraft that legally should not be flying, etc. then what else do they envisage they HAVE to do to retain their employment?
Bust minimums?
Take off overweight?
Carry incorrectly packed or loaded cargo?
The list is endless.

BTW, I`m a participant in the aviation scene - not an observer.

I don`t disagree that there has certainly been an erosion of our conditions - the most severe, and rapid that I`ve experienced in my 30+ years in this profession.
It is evident that the reduction in our final paypacket is not ONLY for our companies to main competitiveness, it is also used to line the pockets of ruthless, greedy managers, and to allow them to propagate like duck weed on a pond!

BUT, I do NOT believe that we - as professional pilots - must allow our own personal standards to be overridden by these people.
It is up to EACH and EVERY one of us to use our discretion, experience, and knowledge to make SAFE decisions.
Occasionally these decisions may well impact economically, however by discarding that which we KNOW is the correct thing to do, is even more dangerous, and if allowed to perpetuate WILL lead to the demise of the professional pilot.

Show the leadership skills and authority that this profession demands.
Only in that way can we start to regain some of the respect that has disappeared!

Last edited by Kaptin M; 7th Feb 2005 at 02:28.