PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seneca Crash at Taupo
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2005, 08:38
stillalbatross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More fatalities occur on multi-crew a/c worldwide than single crew ops....purely on that basis, you are more likely to be hurt or killed in a medium T/P or Jet..than say a Seneca..etc. Having said all that and to put this issue into perspective....statistically, putting your pants on is more of a risk than flying on public transport.
Agreed my crackpipe comments were excessive but the comparisons he gave were mind numbing and throwing up a paragraph like that after telling me to grow up is a bit rich. STATISTICALLY I am afraid, for the number of sectors flown, SPIFR is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more dangerous than any other ATO operation except maybe Ag work.

statistically, putting your pants on is more of a risk than flying on public transport.
Really? People are dead, we're nearly having one of these SPIFR acciednts every year. You'd be happy to stand up at Steve's funeral and make such a pathetic analogy, or call up any of the relatives of any of the victims of the SPIFR crash in CHC recently and make the same comment. There is a huge difference in the level of safety between SPIFR and the multicrew operation that any of the link or domestic services in NZ operate. Don't even try to group the two together.

The risk management that you talk about is precisely my arguement. There is too much risk from a variety of factors, the easiest of which we can change is reducing the workload by increasing the crew and the level of safety systems on the aircraft. At the moment the SPIFR aircraft being operated have none. And, in comparison to Australia we're way slow at introducing GPS.

You are asking a lot of an individual in a very unforgiving environment in SPIFR and if nothing changes, and it's been like this for 30 years, the accidents will continue. So you can bleat about the apparent attacks on Christian (of which there are none) and you can sit and wait for the TAIC report but so far CAA has been totally ineffective.

This accident is just another CFIT and they happen to every category of aircraft.
Yep, in the last 20 years there has been one multicrew scheduled C-FIT accident, the Dash-8 and there's been over 15 SPIFR crashes. Are you trying to tell me in some twisted way that makes it alright. I wonder if some in the flying community just expect the odd SPIFR aircraft to spear in, let's face it, it happens way too often when every other mode of transport has been utilising technology in getting safer over the past decades.