PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of the Professional Pilot
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2005, 07:31
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angel

It is quite ironic, yet fitting, I guess, that you, TDF380 as the initiator of this thread, "The DEMISEof the professional Pilot", are now - some 7 pages later - offering perhaps the REAL reason for that demise.
The fact is, you believe that your management are FORCING you to break Safety standards, and thus destroy the profession of pilot.
Imo, though, the buck stops with YOU.
It is YOU, TDF380 who is compromising your own standards, and creating the Safety hazard.
Stating that, "If everyone who worked for an airline such as mine was to resign due safety concerns, there would be thousands more pilots out of work." is YOUR way of justifying YOUR compromise of your own personal standard. if you have one!
Personally, I don't believe that there are "(a) few hundred from my airline" who are all too afraid to use their command authority.
This is your justification for not having the balls to take a stand......"So and so does it, so I had better too."

If you want to remain in professional aviation, it's time you grew a backbone - you might just be surprised to find that your company takes heed of the issues you raise, and of the respect and support you will get from your peers.
Make sure that your case is fireproof so that the authorities have enough ammunition to back you up, if it comes to a confrontation.
Asking captains nowadays to stand down, refuse and exerce their legal authoritiy is about as realistic in many companies as to tell a Chinese or Iraqi to stand up and speak out loud for human rights and democracy.
Attitudes such as that expressed above are NOT those of a true PROFESSIONAL pilot, and only help to further LOWER standards, instead of maintain or raise them.