PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EEG no longer required at initial JAA Class 1 (merged)
Old 6th Feb 2005, 06:28
gareth08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7E7 flyer,

Sorry it's taken a while to reply ;haven't been checking site for a while.

Basically it's only the UK division of the JAA that has dropped the EEG. However that's not to say that if you get a hold of a sympathetic Neurologist that they can't write you a favourable report. The first neurologist i went to didn't want to know about it, he said if there's a problem then there's a problem and the JAA wont change their minds.

The second guy i went to was extremely helpful, he carried out the EEG and the abnormality was still there. Although what i did was sent him the references to the research (clark and riley (2001) entitled 'screening EEG in aircrew selection:clinical aerospace neurology perspective' published in aviation space and environmental medicine, vol 72 no 11 (2001) - and he looked this up and sent me his views.

He was not in favour of the EEG being used in the manner the aviation authorities were using it. According to the research and my EEG he stated the increase in risk he thought i was. He then wrote a report for me which i forwarded to the CAA in Gatwick. They then took this excess risk and divided in into the 40 years i would be employed before retirement and worked out that the excess risk per year was so tiny that the risk was not considered a threat to flight safety and i got through my class one.

So my guess is if you can land a report on someone's desk (that is favourable) in the issuing country you are from; they will have to look into it further - legally. Just keep trying different neurologists. It might cost a bit to have private sessions with these guys, but it's worth it if it works out - believe me! If you do a search under EEG or under 'gareth08' one of my posts has the contact address of a Dr. Esmonde that i used in Belfast, Northern Ireland, although that may be a bit of a long way to travel, but have a look around, your GP would be the best person to put you in contact with a couple of different names.

Hope this is of some use,

Good luck,

Gareth.