Old 6th Feb 2005, 05:11
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

TDF380, I wonder how much of this:-
"When you cannot stand yourself or your crew down due to fatigue,
When you cannot refuse to extend your duty time into ‘Commanders Discretion’,
When you cannot refuse to take an aircraft with a known fault, (illegal but operationally safe)
When you cannot take extra fuel above the computer generated flight plan,
All without intimidation and threat of contract termination.
",
is a REAL threat, or whether you perceive that there will be repercussions, by exercising your authority as a Commander.

By NOT exercising your legal authority to stand down due to fatigue, refuse to operate an aircraft that MUST be grounded, fail to take extra fuel - even if it means offloading pax and/or freight, etc, etc, YOU are at fault.
You are KNOWINGLY placing the aircraft, and its occupants in danger, and YOU will be the one who will wear the full consequences of any investigation!

You MUST either insist on your decision being followed, or, resign as a Captain - for the Safety of your crew, your pax, and yourself.
Finally to those who say ‘If you don’t like it vote with your feet’, I intend to, but at a time I choose, not when my company sacks me.
You are assuming that you will continue through to that time without mishap - a mishap that will probably terminate your career altogether.
A little like the non-IFR rated pilot who flies into cloud, and is willing to push on "just that little bit further", hoping for a break....but instead flies into a mountain.

If the company you work for are as bad as you believe them to be, then rest assured, they will not stand by YOU in any inquiry, and naturally they are going to deny your allegations - allegations you are going to be forced to substantiate in court.

It's time, TDF380!
Time for YOU to either take a stand, and be the responsible Captain you are licenced by the authorities, and employed by the company to be, or to RESIGN!

All the best with your decision.
Your future, and that of the aviation industry rides on it!