PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Primary Radar Scanners
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2005, 09:47
The Great Unwashed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really chuffed I started this one. ATC and associated equipment is a particular hobby horse of mine and it's good to see there's a lot of interest on this forum.

We used to have a Plessey 430 at my local gaff. It ran concurrently with the Watchman for about five years before being carted off to a mystery buyer. I was amazed anyone wanted it, being about twenty five years old already and second hand when we acquired it. And not all that reliable, despite the best efforts of the Tels brigade. Not sure where it went. Some said Coventry, some said Bristol Lulsgate. Doubtful but Staverton do have the Maris 900 so who knows !

I think the Watchman at our place uses Barco displays and before that FR. Don't know about the ATM and we don't have ASMI, or whatever it's called these days. I dare say it would be a useful tool.

The 430 was a ground mounted device in red and white. The Watchman sits atop a straight gantry, except for those with the SSR aerials which are on a larger structure. I don't know what the 424, AR1.5 etc look like. Pictures anyone ?

Last edited by The Great Unwashed; 5th Feb 2005 at 10:35.