PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seneca Crash at Taupo
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2005, 10:04
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The following has absolutely nothing to do with this accident. It is a general observation on the way in which we treat approaches. We do not know what happened to the CAM aircraft yet. It could have been anything. - MOR

flyingkiwi

OK I suppose it is then safe to say that you never did this approach in IMC?

Funny how when the approach is checked by whoever the CAA employs to do that, it is OK?

But leaving that aside, the only approach which is not on the opposite side of the NDB from Mt Tauhara is the NDB/DME BRAVO, which I imagine most people would join straight in if approaching from the north. However, assuming you join over the beacon, you are then required to maintain the outbound and inbound tracks within +/- five degrees (and the DME distances). If you cannot do this, or have a reasonable assurance that you are on track, you go around. It is the assumption that pilots will not continue an approach when uncertain of track or position, that makes them safe.

Luke Skytoddler

Our posts crossed, it seems. I\'m not sure if you were addressing yourself to me, but I\'ll answer anyway.

The only thing SPIFR has to do with anything is dependent on the cause of an accident. We all accept that (as far as I can tell). You could maybe make a case for better advice to passengers, but at the moment, that\'s about it.

Nobody has defamed Steve - quite the reverse.

Your single minded focus on the alleged shortcomings of SPIFR and the need to \'regulate\' it out of existence, before any cause whatsoever of this crash has been found, is disturbing
What is even more disturbing is your refusal to accept that SPIFR is not as inherently safe as a multi-crew operation (your operator excepted - your F/Os have clearly never spent much time in a simulator if you say that they don\'t get to see crap wx).

Everybody, except you, it seems, gets this. It has nothing in particular to do with this accident, it is simply a statistical fact.

My objection is to the nasty little whispering and speculating campaign that always goes on amongst the ill informed after a fatal accident of this nature.
Please indicate where this is taking place. It certainly isn\'t happening here.

...I hope you have the grace to come back on here in a few months time and retract your statements.
As, I hope, will you.