PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seneca Crash at Taupo
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2005, 04:29
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
threedogtired

As I said so many armchair observations.
Well my "armchair" is the left seat of a commercial jet. Others here are in similar positions. Yours seems to be behind a desk, so please allow us a little latitude.

stillalbatross

Absolutely spot on.

All I would add is, the only good thing that can come from this accident is a searching analysis of the way the CAA regulates SPIFR. Not likely of course, but still...

flyingkiwi

Some of you have made the comment "stick on the right track keep to your minima’s and you will never hit terrain", I agree in principle but you have never flown that particular approach.
I have, but it doesn't matter. The approach gives you the appropriate margins. If you are unhappy about the safety of the approach, don't fly it. If you are at any time unsure of your position, go around. If you don't want to take a second crack at it, divert.

The NDB approach is regularly checked for accuracy, if it is outside limits, it would be withdrawn. If you look at the plate, you will find the crash location displaced about three miles from the approach centreline, and the chart has a clear warning about circling to the east. If you commence a missed approach at the right place on the NDB/DME ALFA (2D), that is five miles west of the crash site. Unless of course I have got my facts totally wrong.

There is always the GPS approach of course...

Last edited by MOR; 4th Feb 2005 at 04:52.