PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Flying blame culture at JHC?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2005, 16:55
Fg Off Max Stout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hyd3failure,
I don't know where you got your 'irresponsible Chinook flying' quote from, but it's f'ing out of line. It was proven in court that the crew to which you are clearly referring, were operating within their auth and within the rules of the UKLFS. I suggest you amend your post because you are wrong and it is exactly that sort of thing that opponents of the UKLFS will seize upon.

crossbow,
In the RW world low flying training is achieved on the back of real tasks. If we have to shift a load of troops from some training area to their barracks, it will probably be done at low level for the training benefit. We do not just wake up and think "What shall we do today? I know, let's fling an empty helo around the country at 50ft, pissing people off, for a bit of a giggle". Do you suggest that all such tasks should be carried out at medium level or IFR and then we should separately go overseas to carry out some LL trg, because it won't happen. Apart from the money issue raised, there simply isn't enough time in the program or ac availability to carry out UK tasking, operational dets and then add in major training dets. How easy do you think it is to get a Chinook to Canada or Australia? Do you think that Germany would happily accept all of a foreign nation's LL Trg to be carried out in their backyard, or any other European nation?

If UK low flying training ceases, more aircrew and their passengers will be killed when low flying is a necessity.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. The Government and many of the population want something for nothing in terms of defence: minimise training, minimise spending, maximise Operations. Nobody seems to have a clue of the effort that goes into minimising disturbance (ie LFAAs, transit areas, hospital avoids, industrial avoids, other avoids, restricted areas, prohibited areas, PMPAs, NOTAMs, local area avoids, hotspots, other stations' local area avoids, and weaving at low level so not to directly overfly individual buildings, etc etc). Any Health and Safety rep, horsey type, treehugger or pprune stirrer should try a few hours of NVG low level before they comment on how we should train. If they still do get the point then f*ckit, let's swap places. They can defend the nation while I mince round Islington, Guardian in one hand, bubbly in the other, crying about rural aircraft noise.

Stout

Blood pressure. Hot. Sweats on. 'You wouldn't like me when I'm angry' Hulk type moment. Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh.