PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seneca Crash at Taupo
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2005, 10:41
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
What an absolute disgrace, the poor guy isn't even in his grave yet and PPRuNe is already awash with people jumping to conclusions, grandstanding and using this tragedy to push their own little apple carts, anti-CAA, anti-SPIFR, anti-whatever. *Disparaging comment about general maturity levels of pilots, edited out here*.

I've never even met the man or worked for Christian, but ask anyone who operates piston twins in NZ and they will tell you the same story, the reputation of Christian is of an absolutely top notch, no expense spared, exemplary safety culture outfit whose pilots are some of the very very best in the business.

At least try to remember before you hit the post button that in this business a company's good reputation is absolutely priceless and its' livelihood rests on it. It takes many many years of good operating practice to build a rep as good as Christian's, and maybe only one uninformed idiot pontificating on a forum known to be frequented by journalists, to destroy the whole thing.

For all you clowns giving SPIFR a slating (for what it's worth I have operated extensively both SPIFR in NZ and now I'm a captain on multi-turbine airline ops in Europe) I reckon multi crew ops can indeed be a blessing when the other guy is competent, but I have on occasion found myself wishing for the relatively benign safety of my little SPIFR Seneca when I'm out and about in real weather and the FO is a newly checked to line, non-English-first-language, still learning the ropes individual who's still at the stage of making a complete balls up of the checklists and RT let alone the handling, and is basically so far behind the aircraft he needs a tow rope. Remember that multi crew aircraft are certified that way because they are deemed sufficiently fast & complex that they NEED two pilots to get the job done. If I had the choice of sending my wife and kids on an SPIFR flight with a completely reputable outfit like Christian Aviation, or on one of these more interesting European airlines that have a money making sideshow selling buy-a-type-rating-and-line-training packages to wet behind the ears CPLs, I know what I'd choose.

In any case however, NOW is not the time and place for a big bitch fight about the pro's and anti's of SPIFR. Please all of you guys show some sympathy before you carry on this slagging match, and just think what would the grieving families and friends of the deceased be thinking if they logged onto PPRuNe right now and read what you are about to post. Steve Brown at least deserves that much respect, until the accident investigation is concluded.

My deepest condolences to all those affected personally by this tragedy.

Last edited by Luke SkyToddler; 3rd Feb 2005 at 14:36.