PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seneca Crash at Taupo
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2005, 06:26
Capt W E Johns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's much more to this discussion than simply 'single pilot IFR is dangerous'. The accident rate for single pilot IFR operations undoubtedly outweighs crewed IFR aircraft by quite some margin, but lets look at the other contributing factors.

Compared to the heavies, those pilots who are operating single pilot IFR are (often) operating in light aircraft, with a less comprehensive suite of avionics, with lower experience levels, into minor airfields where the facilities are not necessarily comprehensive.

Crewing an aeroplane with more than one pilot does NOT in itself make an operation safer - just look at the amount of CRM training required to properly integrate flight deck crew. And look what can happen when CRM goes wrong.

Stillalbatross, yes you are right in that SPIFR statistics demonstrate a higher accident rate than two pilots ops. Yes, there are major advantages in having two pilots in an aeroplane. But I challenge you to think about the topic a little deeper than asserting 'fly SPIFR and die'.

My thoughts are with the pilot and passengers who were sadly killed in this accident, and I offer my sympathy to their friends and family.

Last edited by Capt W E Johns; 3rd Feb 2005 at 10:38.