PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of the Professional Pilot
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2005, 09:29
CRAZYBROADSWORD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to let you know guys it's not that differant in the rotary world. In the summer as a heli instructor I can do as many as 65 hrs in work a week over 5 days, doing maybe 20 hrs flying and my annual salary is something like 15-18 grand a year.

To be a heli flight instructor you will need to fork out about 60 grand 35 grand to commercial leval but no one will give you a job with less than 200 hrs, and yes everyone at that leval will work for nothing to get the hrs up.

Don't get me wrong flying is a great thing to do but a career ?? I personaly am looking else where for a job that pays better, and maybe leaving the industry if I can find another job I like and still afford to fly when I want.

The problem is I think is that managers know that if they get rid of one pilot they can just get another who will be more than happy to work for less, as long as there are more pilots than jobs this will continue.The problem however is that not all pilots are the same and lots of people out there with licences should not be in charge of a dishwasher let alone an aircraft with hundreds of people on. So how long till fix wing and rotary start falling out of the sky ?????????