PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EAST MIDLANDS
Thread: EAST MIDLANDS
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2005, 07:16
egnxema

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mike-

Beware of the Derby Telegraph - it is not known for its objective reporting.

These are the figures published by the airport company:-

Passenger Figures
2004: 4.38 million 2.9% increase on 2003
2003: 4.26 milllion 32% increase on 2002
2002: 3.2 million

Passengers in December 04
274,054, 19% up on December 03

As is often the case, you can make a number of headlines out of these figures, both good and bad. The airport has increased its annual pax numbers, despite a reduction in the number of WW services.

True, the increase percentage has fallen, alot, but exactly the same is true at STN, and I think you'll find that BHX figures were not so good for 2004.

At the moment LPL LTN and NCL seem to be doing very well in the LoCo sector.

One thing for sure is that you have to look at growth over a longer period of time, and EMA has grown - most of the time steadily rather than explosively - since it opened.

2005 will see new long haul services, a new scheduled service to Malta and Solvenia. The return of business facilities in the terminal for the bmi BRU, CDG and NCE flights.

easyJet are holding strong, Ryanair are growing their market.

EMA has a solid foundation. It does need to improve its marketing and development teams.

It will be fery interesting to see what happens in the Brum Scrum. With Baby, Monarch, FlyBE fighting it out new this year, and TOM bighting their ankles down the road at CVT.

BHX is doing well - but all that glitters is not gold - and I can't see that EZY of FR will not put the pressure on, either at EMA or BRS.
WW is still a small fish in the big pond, Jet2 is flexing stronger muscles than WW.

With the Jet2, EZY, TOM and FR sharks circling the BHX pond, and the pond itself being a fighting ground, I for one would not be pulling party poppers and streamers at the thought of my airline basing there.

It will be interesting to watch.