PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of the Professional Pilot
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2005, 23:58
guybrush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what do you want the managers to do in the current climate? Do you really think that cutting top managements’ pay is going to be enough to cover the salaries of all the pilots? Of course not!

There are so many other factors to think of and if any union thinks of revolting, things sadly will become worse in the industry.

I am a pilot wannabe myself, but I know that a strike at the moment will have undesirable consequences. Furthermore, what guarantees that lower salaries are not going to spread to other industries?

I hear that a starting F/O in UK will make around 35, 000 Pounds pre-tax. According to my knowledge that is still a good salary, but not perfect. Could any Brits elaborate more on how good such a salary is? I'm still new to the UK and am not acquainted with its salaries.

Of course I would love to have a higher salary as a pilot. If I go into another job with better salary/conditions I will miss on all the fun of hoping around all the time. I have been living in many different places all my life and can't imagine settling down in one place now. I still want to be on the move, that's one of the main reasons why I want to work as a pilot. And yes, I know it will no turn out as glamorous and beautiful as I think, but, hey, I like it! And the idea of a person travelling all the time still seams glamorous to many people (especially if they hate 9-5 jobs like me).

cheers
guybrush