PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of the Professional Pilot
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2005, 16:10
unimuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said TDF 380,

I totally agree with your concern for the demise of the industry. I think a more positive stance from flight crew would have stopped this a long time ago, however, there are to many pilots willing to self type rate. Judging by ryanair it doesnt stop at self type ratings.

I have sadly seen for myself, friends operating in the air taxi work, being undermined by pilots working for free, yes FREE. Unable to negotiate pay rises or medical expenses. They like flying air taxi but after becoming depressed and being cornered into accepting pay cuts, working longer hours , they have packed up and left the industry.

So these pilots working for free, There excuse? I need the multi time. But what happens when they leave after gaining these multi engine hours? working for another employer for low pay and long hours.

So what employer would'nt recruit somone willing to work Long hours and accept irregular working patterns and for FREE ?Would this happen in the legal, dentist, accountancy fields ? Like it would .

So as TDF 380 witnesses colleagues retiring early after a 15 - 20 year period, How lucky are they , I have friends throwing the towel in much sooner without ever flying a commercial or corporate Jet and looking at going bankrupt. So where and how does this stop?

I think it is time for all pilots to be more proactive in there stance against such working practises. Balpa and other organistaions seem to have lost there fighting spirit.