PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of the Professional Pilot
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2005, 13:28
Safety Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TDF380:

While I can't share your pessimism, I do share your concern regarding the cumulative effect of fatigue on long haul pilots as the range of aircraft increases. But, like anything else that concerns us these days when it comes to safety, it's a tough uphill battle to convince the rule makers that the risk will eventually come back to bite the industry very hard. Still, it's a battle worth fighting, and there's plenty of evidence to support the fight. Pilot unions and associations should be leading the charge on our behalf.

You make one statement which concerns me greatly, and I do hope you carefully consider the ramifications of it. You said, "if I was to refuse to do the flight, or stand down due to myself or my crew being fatigued, my contract would be terminated immediately with no reason given." First, is that really the safety culture within your company? If it is, you and your colleagues are in serious trouble, IMHO. At the very least, the safety manager(s) in your company should support a crew member's right to remove themselves from duty when fatigued, and they should make it known to management that dismissal for doing so is simply not on. Second, and more important, have you considered the potential ramifications to you (and/or those you love) should you have an accident during which it is proved that you were knowingly fatigued? No pay cheque or retirement plan is worth that, IMHO.