PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK pilot breathalysed after go arounds
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2005, 20:04
View From The Ground

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasonable Suspicion

BJCC

I know that the police have their own very considerable pressures, and god help them in dealing with some of the scum that they must have to deal with day in day out.
However what you should recognise, is that instances like the one being discussed, their actions can result in people who would normally be their supporters, and I would suggest that the majority of the pilot workforce is amongst them, taking a jaundiced view of the boys in blue.
Given that the breathtest was negative...against a 0.20 level, practicably zero, I would be suprised if these guys were in any way either acting or smelling drunk. Is it really the case that this level is set so low that even someone who is perfectly sober and in no way showing signs of consuming alcohol could be over the ridiculously abritrary limit.
Given this I guess that the only way to check is through a breath test. However I would also suggest that given the fact that the pilots WERE sober and that I would imagine they had explained what had gone on, what justification could there have been for the breath test. Apart from as you say to keep everybody...except the pilot and the majority of people on this forum...happy. Not really a good enough reason I would have thought!