PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SRA - Check you minima...
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2001, 10:35
U R NumberOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strangely enough "Check your minima" and "Check Wheels" are standard phrases for SRAs, so how you've gone so long without hearing them is beyond me! Why we don't do it on other instrument approaches, I'm not too sure, but for SRAs the chat goes something like this...

On first contact - "This will be a Surveillance Radar Approach to Runway xx, terminating at x miles from touchdown, check your minima, stepdown fixes and missed approach point."
Around 8-10 miles out - "Check Wheels"
And a reminder of "Check Minimum Descent Height (or Altitude)" - for a 2nm SRA this would occur one mile before advisory heights are discontinued.

As far as responses go - we don't usually expect more than "Checked" or sometimes "Down, 3 greens".

If I can drift off slightly here with a question for ATCOs that we started to ponder a couple of weeks ago. In the Approach section of Part 1 under Missed Approach Instructions it states "An aircraft is to be advised to carry out a missed approach...(b) if it is not visible on the radar display for any significant interval during the last two miles of the approach". Depending how you interpret this does it mean between 0-2 miles from touchdown or any two miles on the approach - between 4 and 6 for example when the aircraft is at 4. I always thought it was the former, but when you read it, either could apply - what'ya think?