PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRI - This & That WARNING
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2005, 21:26
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard Noise,

We get the weather enroute via Volmet, ATIS and through various agencies the latest TAF may be obtained if one is issued after we departed. These days, ACARS or the telephone can be used! I am sure of what the weather will be for arrival and departure before initial descent even on short sectors.

The ground crew are not required to brief themselves on the actual and forecast weather proir to their shift or to be able to decode METAR and TAFs and the person who is the operator of an aircraft parked at the airport may be out of range of the ATIS, volmet etc. They are the people interested in frost warnings etc because that is the only way that they are given the information that they require.

The aerodrome operator is intersted in such warnings because they have to considder runway braking action checks perhaps in frost etc.

ATC engineers are intersted in wind and icing warnings because there is a wind limit which may require the radar to be parked and that speed is different when the radar is iced.

ATC engineers in general do not need to be able to decode the TAF but they do need the information. These are the types of people who need the aerodrome warning. Pilots are trained to recognise the symptoms and decode the metoffice data and predict the conditions.

So what I believe is being "complained" about is the duplication of information provided to pilots resulting in what pilots may perceive as an unnecessary extended ATIS message. That is how I interpreted this topic.

Regards,

DFC