PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRI - This & That WARNING
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2005, 14:44
ATCOJ30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-H: Don't want to retread too much of Standard Noise's (and others) witty reply but:

1. UK AIP GEN3-5-3 Para 4 "Aerodrome Warnings" and CAP493/MATS Part 1, Section 3, Ch1 Page 9 refers. We think we do it right but we'll look at what we do and see if there are changes to be made. Why does Muir Matheson's PAMOS ATIS input page have a "Met Warnings" section on it if it's not to be used, I wonder?

2. We have no desire to be patronising or irritating by putting MET warnings on the ATIS, I assure you. We do not intend to deter you from landing at Bristol or wish to be alarmist. If you divert, it costs us plenty in money, work and the goodwill of passengers and operators. We transmit the information and it is for you to make an informed decision on the effect of that information, along with all other available data. We also disseminate Warnings by phone call to various folk around the airport.

3. Not all pilots have an Ops Dept, Handling Agent and Engineering Department who make sure you have briefing data, Wx. charts, NOTAMs, Load Sheets, aeroplane suitably de-iced/anti iced, warm and cosy for you to step into and fly away. There are pilots who actually make use of the Warnings, we're told, such as the guy who needs to tie-down his Cessna overnight, when he hears the Gale Warning: the guy who needs to get up an hour early to make sure the engineers (or he) has deiced his aircraft properly, after hearing a Frost Warning. Or just the commercial pilot who hears a Bristol Fog Warning going out on the ATIS as he starts up for departure and wonders if he's going to get home on time after the return sector. High speed fog at Bristol is not uncommon.

4. We have Cat 3 ILS on RW27, Cat 1 on 09. Not all operators are Cat-3 capable here either, by any means.

5. There is a "big picture" that ATC are trained to recognise in this game. Sadly, I conclude, after 30 years of being an ATCO, that many pilots have tunnel-vision and are interested solely in their aircraft, their flight, at that time. A little harsh? Maybe...maybe not.

Brain-Fade. That location "Planet Claire" could be a give-away, 'cos we think we know that name well... Souls-on board is useful in the event of a "whoopsie" (your words), as I know only too well. I was on duty in the 'Gulf a couple of hours after a B727 crashed on the airport after going-round twice in a thunderstorm and getting zapped by a microburst on the third go-round. Not pretty, many dead, some survivors walked out of it and were still being rounded up hours later, in total shock. ATC having S-o-B may have saved a few minutes work and have been of use to the RFFS, when the Handling Agents were asked for an accurate manifest.

Do we expect pilots "to have a whoopsie" (your words again)? 'Sure do at some time, and that's why we are taught never to be complacent. You too, B-F? 'Been flying long? Incidentally, the use of the RFFS for Weather Standbys or in LVPs cannot be just a Bristol-ism, surely?

Last thing- We're not a "funny" or "rural" airport or ATSU. We take this job very, very seriously indeed. If you have a gripe, then go through the right channels to make your views known or come and see me anytime. Second floor of the Tower, turn left out of the lift...