PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
Old 28th Jan 2005, 08:54
hyd3failure

It seems sad that life over at Zulu is as poor as that. Certainly, life at Yankee is upbeat, bright and we are looking forward to the future. Maybe you should bite the bullet and cross the road to utopia.

Wuld you do me the honour of responding to each point seperately.

Your comment about no requirement for an NVG capability on an amphibious platform in both ill-informed and indicative of the lack of knowledge of amphibiosity which pervades 'Fleet'. Tell that to 849 post Telic.
Apologies I didn't see the requirement. Do you have a copy of the paperwork? Nope. Thats because an SOR hasn't been raised. And why not? because there isn't a requirement.

I am scared for the aviation capability of the UK amphib forces, and what would happen if Ocean was unavailable. Especially as the days of the 'available CVS' come to an end.
What about Albion and Bulwark? What about Largs Bay, Lyme Bay, Mounts Bay, Cardigan Bay. What with thiose and Ocean that must amount to a very expensive and capable amphibious force.... So what do we do without Ocean...? Well, we do exactly what we did prior to 1999. How did we cope without Ocean? The RN haven't operate4d an LPH for some considerable time prior to 1999 so how did we cope prior to that?

So where is the light at the end of the tunnel? Our equipment grows ever older (Sea King to 2040 mooted), we are asked to work increasingly harder for a salary which declines in real terms year on year.
Our equipment grows older????? What about Merlin? Apache ? MRA4 ? Ruler class, river class....do I need to go on..?

As has already been stated, there in not enough money in the pot and defence in not a vote winner and until the Chinese begin to flex their muscles will not be. By then it will be far too late to regenerate UK defence capability.
Concur. But I think the chances of the UK having to take on the might of China singlehandledly is remote.
In the last 4 years I have gradually lost the desire to work for promotion to the upper echelons, believing I could do some good on the way, there is no good to be done, just minimising the decay on a daily basis.
Your'e not trying hard enough.
The UK has lost all focus and identity, the future is far from rosy and I fear sharp decline is no more than 5 years away, with increasing borrowing now and the demands of an aging population beginning to tell.
Rubbish. You watch, as soon as England win Euro06 the feel good factor will regenerate this country