PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
Old 27th Jan 2005, 17:20
Lee Jung

Hyd3,

I think you finished off the answer to the question:

Have these new ships been bought properly? Are they on time and within budget? Are they decked out with the full kit you need, or have bits been removed for cost saving?
Capability removed
Late
Over budget (plus another 84 mil!)

Your comment about no requirement for an NVG capability on an amphibious platform in both ill-informed and indicative of the lack of knowledge of amphibiosity which pervades 'Fleet'. Tell that to 849 post Telic.

I am scared for the aviation capability of the UK amphib forces, and what would happen if Ocean was unavailable. Especially as the days of the 'available CVS' come to an end.

So where is the light at the end of the tunnel? Our equipment grows ever older (Sea King to 2040 mooted), we are asked to work increasingly harder for a salary which declines in real terms year on year.

As has already been stated, there in not enough money in the pot and defence in not a vote winner and until the Chinese begin to flex their muscles will not be. By then it will be far too late to regenerate UK defence capability.

In the last 4 years I have gradually lost the desire to work for promotion to the upper echelons, believing I could do some good on the way, there is no good to be done, just minimising the decay on a daily basis.

The UK has lost all focus and identity, the future is far from rosy and I fear sharp decline is no more than 5 years away, with increasing borrowing now and the demands of an aging population beginning to tell.

When the rights of the fox are greater than the rights of the individual, something has to change.