PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
Old 27th Jan 2005, 11:34
Lee Jung

)

Have these new ships been bought properly? Are they on time and within budget? Are they decked out with the full kit you need, or have bits been removed for cost saving?
The answer to glum's questions is no.

The LPDs have been brought into service having had the hangar and 2 decks of accommodation and office spaces cut. Funding for NVG compatible flight deck removed (T23s done first - BARKING!)

The LSD(A)s had the hangar taken out of the original design as a cost reduction measure.

Result: Ocean is the only amphib platform with hangar and therefore full maintenance facilities, last time I looked we only had one, so what happens if she's in refit etc? Major OC reduction for a paltry cost saving.

However it's lucky we don't have enough helos to operate off shipping at the moment.

No, there is not enough money in the pot and therefore the salami slicing goes on. This is never going to change.

I wish I had an answer but I can't find one, the only way is to stop buying the gold plated solutions for every bit of kit we purchase and to get more savvy when dealing with defence contractors and suppliers. Not easy when so many senior offciers and civil servants join said contractors quickly after leaving the MOD.....