PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
Old 27th Jan 2005, 08:13
hyd3failure

Does anyone here think that the future is bright? (Not orange) Certainly in the RN we are looking forward to the future.

Future Navy is a very exciting programme which will see the RN blend our capibilities and will be optimised for mission success across the full range of military tasks.
Future Navy will provide task configured maritime capabilities to contribute to the differing scales of effort defined in policy guidance.
We are also working towards delivering global reach and presence with afloat and shore-based sustainability, generating persistence to operate in a decisive manner or make a significant contribution to campaign success.

OK, that may all be management speak but the things that matter to me on the front line is equipment and people.

As far as equipment goes, we recently brought into service the worlds best ASW helicopter which is certainly proving its worth. As for Fixed wing, well we have started to select the pilots of the future who will fly the JSF. The introduction into service of HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales are major events for this country. It will have been well over 40 years since this country has operated Aircraft Carriers which will have the ability to fly continuously for weeks rather than days.
As for the secret world, well HMS Astute, HMS Ambush and HMS Artful, all new Astute class SSN's are being built in Barrow. Amphibiosity (how do you spell that?) is important and we have recently accepted HMS Bulwark and Albion and these all form part of a great plan which includes the new Bay class landing ships.
HMS Mersey is here which is the 3rd of the new river class. Not forgetting of course what will undoubtedly be the worlds most advanced Destroyer. The Type 45 is a world beater and will significantly enhance the war fighting capibilities of the RN.

So, whats the problem? Well we are desperately short of manpower. My squadron is gapped about 35% which is why we are keeping the FRI. But, the manpower problem is being addressed and with luck and some good planning we will be back to normal soon. So, all in all the future of the RN is bright. I like being in the RN. Its a great job, the people are great, the kit is good and I wake up in the morning and look forward to going to work and flying. For those of you who don't have that feeling when they wake up, perhaps you should have another look at your needs and aspirations. If you don't like the services then please leave, BUT don't harp on about how bad it is when actually its great.

woooops, nearly fell orf me soapbox there.