PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guantanemo Bay Boys
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2005, 14:46
PileUp Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fully believe that they have been tortured in there. You say would not call military interrogation techniques torture, I certainly would!
Tom Ridge, from the US Dept of Homeland security said it was "human nature" that torture might be employed in certain exceptional cases, he admitted there was "a real question" whether using torture on terrorists would actually gain the information required "given the nature of the enemy".

Allegations from Guantanamo include:
Prisoners were repeatedly punched, kicked, slapped, forcibly injected with drugs, deprived of sleep, hooded, photographed naked and subjected to body cavity searches and sexual and religious humiliations

One American guard told the inmates: "The world does not know you're here - we would kill you and no-one would know"

One of the soldiers told an inmate: "You killed my family in the towers and now it's time to get you back.

MI5 officer had told prisoners during interrogations that they would be detained in Guantanamo for life

Men said they saw the beating of mentally ill inmates

Another man was left brain damaged after a beating by soldiers as punishment for attempting suicide

A Briton said an inmate told them he was shown a video of hooded men - apparently inmates - being forced to sodomise one another

Guards threw prisoners' Korans into toilets and tried to force them to give up their religion

The men allege that when a new camp commander, Maj Gen Geoffrey Miller, took charge, new practices began, including the shaving of beards, playing loud music, shackling detainees in squatting positions and locking them naked in cells.

The report says: "It was very clear to all three that MI5 was content to benefit from the effect of the isolation, sleep deprivation and other forms of acutely painful and degrading treatment, including short shackling.
"There was never any suggestion on the part of the British interrogators that this treatment was wrong."
“ All the time I was kneeling with a guy standing on the backs of my legs and another holding a gun to my head” Ruhal Ahmed
The trio said they had eventually wrongfully confessed to appearing in a video with al-Qaeda chief Osama Bin Laden and Mohammed Atta, one of the 11 September hijackers.
In the report, it is understood Mr Ahmed says shortly after his capture in northern Afghanistan in 2001 he was questioned by a British interrogator, who identified himself as an SAS officer, while an American soldier held a gun to his head, threatening to shoot him.
The UK Ministry of Defence acknowledged that such behaviour is contrary to the Geneva Conventions and has promised to investigate any such allegation.
Lawyer Gareth Pierce told BBC News: "There was not a single method that was not used to break their will to make them confess to something they were not guilty of, and all three did."

Most of that is from the BBC and although they are still allegations even the MOD has admitted that this is against the Geneva Convention so technically it is torture.

How the hell are they supposed to get proof of what went on in there??