PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beware of Unscrupulous US Visa Advice
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2005, 00:44
chrisbl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enquired of the Us embassy in London about the need for a visa. This is the complete text of their reply.

"If you are to receive flight training in the U.S. you will require an F-1, M-1 or J-1 visa. You should contact the flight school which will provide you with either an I-20F or M, or a DS-2019 which is required to apply for the visa.

If you have a private pilots license and you merely wish to build up flight hours, you will require a B-2 visa. While you may be eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, if otherwise qualified, since the introduction of the Applicability of Aviation and Transportation Security Act, we would recommend that you apply for a B-2 visa.
When applying for the B-2 visa and entry into the U.S. you will be required to furnish a letter from the flight school stating the type of aircraft you will be flying.

Detailed information on visa application procedures and advice on how to schedule an interview at the Embassy is available from our website at www.usembassy.org.uk

If your flight school cannot issue you with the appropriate form then we regret that you cannot apply for the necessary visa.

Thank you for your email correspondence.

Consular Information Unit
U.S. Embassy London
CONS/CIU/GMS"

That has been added to by the TSA rules but the fact is a visa is needed for any training that gives or adds to a licence or rating.

I did a night qualification and the time it took to get the visa was longer than the actual training involved.

Now you may think this is stupid but its their country and they can do what they like.

And if you want to know what the various visa types are then look here http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...v/nivindex.htm

but in short, F visas are for academic, M for vocational study and J visas are exchange.

You would be likely to apply for a F -1 when you are going to a university on a aviation course.