PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The 49ers and Related Issues(Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2005, 00:40
Turbo Beaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a 44er

Dear Friends,

I am trying to work out how best to express my opinion about “the offer”. It is very important for all of you to know what I (and my family) want you to do. We want you to consider the following and see what conclusions you draw and on that basis cast your vote.

Basically I have a simple question: Is this “fair treatment for the 49ers”? There is one simple answer to this question and that is NO. It is interesting that I have yet to speak to anyone who thinks this deal is fair. Nobody thinks this is fair including the committee.

This leads to a quandary. Why is the committee “selling” such an unfair deal? I believe that they are convinced that this is in fact the best offer available at this time. So we need to ask ourselves do we think that time will improve this offer. Personally I believe that in this instance time is our friend and I think a better option would be to seek vast improvements in the offer prior to being forced into deciding.

Personally I wish to be re-employed by Cathay. I believe them to be a great airline and I would be honoured to be a Cathay pilot again. What I do not need is to be constantly reminded of the results of this protracted dispute by being forced to accept such a “punitive” offer of an interview and perhaps employment. This offer only continues the punishment that my family and I have endured for the last 3˝ years. At the very least I deserve to be returned to my previous salary and position on the seniority list. What equipment I operate is irrelevant. In order for us all to put this dispute behind us compensation and re-employment must be fair.

Several pieces of correspondence have alluded to a perceived weak legal position. I ask the question… If this legal position is so weak why then does the Management require me to relinquish this (weak) position prior to having even a medical? I believe that Cathay will not go to court and that there will be a better offer that includes jobs. Likewise I believe that the Union can afford to continue supporting the 49ers. In fact it can ill afford not to.

The Senior Management of Cathay has decided to attempt to resolve this dispute. This offer does not resolve the dispute. This offer does not allow us to confine the past 3 1/2 years to history. This same management team has equally acknowledged that money is not an issue…so let’s tell them to stop making it an issue and come up with a non punitive offer.

My family will be forever grateful for the support you have given us. Please be assured that your decision will be one which we accept.

Thank you.

Last edited by BlueEagle; 25th Jan 2005 at 03:15.