PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - low hours + typerating = job ?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2005, 16:49
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think for really low-time guys....200-400hrs or so, you have to think like an airline recruiter would.

For Example. Pilot A 250hrs.....737/A320 type rating..no line or commercial experience.

Pilot A is in a difficult spot, as an airline recruiter is likely to view you as someone with no exposure to the "real" world....all your aviation experience is training. You lack awareness, you lack experience, and most importantly you lack any viable revenue producing time. The only positive in this situation is the Type-rating...but even then an airline is more likely to type-rate a 250hr pilot themselves (either self sponsered, cadet, bonded etc) as they will be able to assess your skills, learn about your personality, and generally get a far better picture of who you are. As it happens these schemes exist already. In the grand scheme of things I dont think a "speculative" £20,000 thrown at the challenge will bring you any closer to that first job. (Not sure of exact T/R costs). Of course all this could change...and anyone with a T/R could become a rare breed...but dont bank on it.

As for Southcoast's situation...probably the biggest hurdle is getting an interview then progressing to a sim check......in the sim..your 2200hrs of experience should show through...with a smooth and polished performance, in comparison to someone with 1/9th of your flight hours.

Just my thoughts...I've tried to think like a person who is recruiting, and as such this is what I came up with. I hope it helps.

Cheers

H