PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those damned pedantic idiot captains
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2005, 11:03
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the pedantic captains that I flew with as an F/O, I heartily thank you. I learned from you that to be a pedant and strictly disciplined in all areas of aircraft operation is essential for safety and efficiency, especially when you were pedantic that Standard Procedures won't cover all situations, and that flexibility is sometimes necessary.

To the ordinary "Good Guy" captains that I flew with as an F/O, thank you for the time in my log book, I gained little else from you.

To the very few "Bad Apple" captains (call them Idiots if you want) that I flew with as an F/O, I heartily thank you. I learned from you first hand how a safe operation can go to crud when you break off from disciplined procedures and did your own thing. From you I learned most of all, I learned the consequences of undisciplined behaviour, I learned WHAT NOT to do, the most valuable lesson of all.

To the pedantic First Officers I now fly with, I heartily thank you. You pull me back into line once in a while if I deviate from good, disciplined, but flexible as necessary, pedanticly safe procedure.

To the ordinary "Good Guy" First Officers I now fly with, thank you for keeping me awake and alert on long tiring sectors, I cannot take my eyes off you.

To the very few "Bad Apple" F/Os (call them Idiots if you want) that I now fly with, thank you to my employer for making me an Examiner of Airmen, for it allows me the opportunity to say "Fail" or "Back to the Simulator".

Old Smokey (A pedant, and very proud of it).