PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which MCC???
Thread: Which MCC???
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2005, 14:23
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWW generally posts with some authority, but I'm afraid I will have to correct some misapprehensions here. I am not talking here specifically about my employer, but having done all the courses and working in the industry I do pick up some information.

Firstly, many FTOs are not making a lot of money from MCCs, in fact some seem just to be providing them to round off their portfolio of courses. If they have to lease a simulator, some of them must be making around £100 per student by my rough calculations (4-5% is not really considered a good mark up, let alone excessive!). Others I cannot see how they can even cover the costs! The pricing on many MCCs is extremely competitive.

Secondly the typical cost is not £3,500 unless you are mugged on the way in every day!

Thirdly most of them are not using "...rickety old kit".

Fourthly some very experienced crew are offering training on the course. Many of them have been check and trainign captains on wide-bodied jets. I could certainly name one who still flies such a jet and teaches MEIR, and occasionally teaches an MCC course.

Fifth, while it is true that the course was intended as an addition to the first type rating, some companies now expect applicants to have an MCC course certificate. Some even say so on adverts when recruiting low-hour pilots.

Finally, for the pride of sim owners, a good FNPT2 (and WWW did specify a good machine) is not under £100k. A decent one for a light twin is, as far as I can find, around £300k. It handles remarkably like the aircraft, especially if it is type-specific. A lot of testing is required for approval. WWW's rough Seneca FNPT2 would certainly not be allowed for an MCC, and am surprised it was approved if it was so poor (where was this, WWW?). However I would still do the course on a proper simulator if I had to choose again, as all the buttons work (they don't on some jet FNPT2s) and the whole thing feels frighteningly real with full motion!

Is it really helpful to the wannabes reading this thread that you are posting such inaccurate material in such a confrontational way?